Monday, April 11, 2011

My First Attempt at an ABC Poem

    When I first decided to stretch myself, I read about different forms and styles of poetry. The idea of an ABC poem seemed very daunting but I decided to test myself by attempting to write a whole poem using the entire alphabet. It came out very interesting and raw, if not a little rough. I was so proud of myself for doing it and making some kind of sense that I decided to share it on here.

Fear/Futility

And I stood upon a hill.
Below me live the other people-
caring not about each other or me.
Daring to flaunt it with no shame.
Erring over and over as it were a joy-
forgiving only for display.
Greeting with a smile and hug-
holding a knife in their hand.

I may be this too - could I escape?
Just a different slant on the same act.
Kneeling to look at them, I see not myself.
Leaning over - I may fall - would it matter?
Maybe I wouldn't be alone;
no more standing here looking down, around and up.
Only I know I'd be even lonelier with them,
pretending to care - leading me on.

Quixotic struggle of love versus hate,
roaring loud so no one can learn better,
screaming, deafening, that's all you can hear.
Tomorrow is our only hope - but what will change?
Unless one person changes, tomorrow never will.
Valor must reemerge - do any have it?
Where might it be in the heart of so-called men?
Xenolithic ones masquerading as each other,
yearning for something more - never finding.
Zealots cursing themselves to damnation - knowing no other way. 

      Here is another I've written...

Those Darn Stars

Reach out, touch me.
I'm not so far away,
Though I'm on this screen
And much larger than life.

Have you thought how I feel,

All alone in a glory of silver-
Yearning like you all?
Why do you look up to me?
Oh, if I could believe it too!
Rita, you're a lovely girl,
Trying to find affection,
Hoping the stars will shine on you.

     This one is in my book Light, Dark and Hope, shown below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment